Friday, January 23, 2009

No Means No....Right?

The word No.
It's a pretty simple thing, you say no or hear no and you don't do that right?
Well, I'm finding myself saying this word an awful lot and not getting much of a response from the audience. Arianna.
I'm not sure if it's my pregnancy hormones that are all out of whack and I'm getting much more frustrated much faster or if it really is Arianna ignoring every thing I have to say. Or maybe it is a little of both. Everything had been going smoothly, and all of the sudden out of nowhere this new child has emerged, an independent all knowing little girl. She has demands and she wants them dealt with right now, no yesterday. Although, she is polite when she asks for things, she is still quite demanding.
Anywho, back to the No.
She gets into everything, all the drawers,climbing the chairs, playing on the computer and pressing things she shouldn't be, playing in the cupboards, walking ahead of me and trying to run away, everything. So, I calmly say Arianna, Mommy said No, and she looks at me and does it anyway. More firmly I say it again, Mommy said No. WELL, all hell decides to break loose, and she has a FULL BLOWN tantrum. There is screaming, slamming her head on the ground and pushing whatever is in front of her. So, I've always been told, the safest place for her to be is in her crib. So she has a timeout and is put in her crib so she doesn't hurt herself. (Now I'm not to comfortable putting her in her crib - as I want that to be her safe/happy place, a place where she is comfortable, and I have such trouble putting her in there when I am disciplining her, but for right now I don't know where else to put her with bashing her head on something)ANYWHO,
After about 2 minutes I go in her room to find a raccoon faced little girl sniffling away to which I pick up and say it's time to be a good girl, and then she's lovable again, all until I tell her No again.
So, my question is to Mom's out there. Did you have to deal with this while you were pregnant? Is it just me and my mixed up hormones, is this NO thing common? Am I losing my cool to soon? Do you out there get frustrated and overwhelmed by such a small thing, or is this just me being crazy?
I don't know, but I feel like I'm losing my mind and am slowly going nuts!
I hope this gets easier as time progresses. I hope it's not actually the terrible twos!
I just need some advice or knowing that this does happen to other Moms.

2 comments:

just us said...

if you don't like putting her in the crib, set up a playpen and do it there. It's just as safe and it's not her sleeping place

Cathi said...

Well if my opinion counts for anything you certainly are NOT alone in the world of NO and tantrums that go with it. YOU were an expert NO and tantrum girl. I could tell her hours and hours of stories of when you were a little girl and I am sure I did tell you. I thought you were the Queen of NO and tantrums but after talking to other mom's they all thought that their child was the Queen or King of NO and tantrums...wait until the next stage - you know the one, when they KNOW EVERYTHING!!!!!
Have fun and enjoy....maybe the playpen idea is a good one!

Lilypie 2nd Birthday Ticker